Morality is a component of spirituality. The BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha encourages a lifestyle rooted in spirituality and purity. Followers of the Swaminarayan faith lead a life of non-violence, service, and devotion to God. Pramukh Swami Maharaj emphasizes the importance of living honestly, working ethically, and giving back generously to the community. These values thus lend to a strong spiritual foundation for devotees. Bhagwan Swaminarayan enunciated key moral disciplines for sadhus and householders.
• Live an addiction-free life; Do not partake in drugs, alcohol, and tobacco.
• Consume a strict vegetarian diet free from tamasic foods, such as onion and garlic.
• Refrain from stealing, violence, slander, and fraud.
• Live a morally pure life free from adultery.
• Nishkam - Live a life free from lust; Follow the discipline of eight-fold celibacy.
• Nisneh - Live a life free from attachment; Offer complete servitude and love for God.
• Niswad - Live a life free from gluttony or vicarious taste; Relish only in the flavor of God’s splendor.
• Nirman - Live a life free from ego; Practice humility and selfless service.
• Nirlobh - Live a life free from greed; Satisfaction is only derived from attaining God.