As instructed by Bhagwan Swaminarayan in the Shikshapatri and by the wish of guruhari Param Pujya Mahant Swami Maharaj, devotees should undertake extra spiritual observances during the four holy months of Chaturmas. This year, Chaturmas is from 23 July 2018 (Ashadh sud 11) to 19 November 2018 (Kartak sud 11). To please Bhagwan Swaminarayan, Brahmaswarup Pramukh Swami Maharaj and Pragat Brahmaswarup Mahant Swami Maharaj, the following extra observances should be undertaken:
The following books should be read throughout the year:
1. Yugatit Yugpurush Pramukh Swami Maharaj.
2. Jeva Me Nirakhiya Re… (Divine Memories, Part 4)
(Pragat Brahmaswarup Mahant Swami Maharaj’s divine memories of Brahmaswarup Pramukh Swami Maharaj.)
3. Akshar-Purushottam Darshan.
• One month dharna-parna, chandrayan, etc. or ektana during the month of Shravan (12 August to 9 September 2018)
• Daily listen to 7–10 minutes of Pramukh Swami Maharaj’s incidents and blessings.
• Daily listen to one track for two months.
• Video darshan of Pramukh Swami Maharaj, 7–10 minutes daily.
• Daily turn an extra five malas. Perform extra dandvats, pradakshinas, etc. as per one’s capacity.
• Inspire one friend to join satsang, such that they daily apply tilak-chandlo and perform puja.
• Contemplate for five minutes every day on the mahima of Pramukh Swami Maharaj – his virtues, work and divine form.
• Every week, narrate in person or via letter, email or social media, one incident of Pramukh Swami Maharaj to as many relatives and friends as possible.
• Conduct ghar-sabha: gather your family to read about, listen to, have darshan of and contemplate on our guru.
• Once a month, for one year, invite a family to your ghar sabha. (Invite the same family every month, not new families each time.)
• Inspire one family to start conducting their own ghar sabha.
Note: During Chaturmas, devotees should not eat brinjals, white and red radish, sugarcane and mogri.