The core philosophical principles, disciplines, and practices which identify the BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha and its followers are rooted in ancient Hindu scripture, the Vedas. This solid foundation resonates with millions of people around the world:
- We are the atma and are not this body. This atmagnan is essential for a spiritual aspirant to reach Paramatma.
- Spiritual aspirants should not consume addictive substances nor should they eat onion, garlic, and other tamasic foods. A vegetarian diet (no meat, no eggs, no poultry, and no seafood) should be followed. One should not steal. One should not commit adultery.
- Bhagwan Swaminarayan is always present on Earth through the gunatit guru.
- Selflessly serving God, the gunatit guru, and the community is the only way to rid one’s self of base desires and faults.
- One can only attain moksha by pleasing the gunatit guru and eradicating inner vices (anger, lust, greed, envy, and attachment) by imbibing ekantik dharma.